Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2016

Whole Wheat German Pancakes

One of my husband's favorite breakfast foods is German pancakes, and I really wanted to make some this weekend without breaking our new food lifestyle. I pulled up Pinterest and searched for whole wheat German pancakes and I found this recipe. It looked great, but we did make a few changes to it in order for it to better fit the diet. 

We didn't make the syrup to go on it, and we didn't use butter. We used vegetable oil! It actually turned out pretty good. I am eager to make it again, and my husband liked it too, but he wasn't sure how excited other people would be to try it out. Here are some pictures


As you can see, it didn't poof up like normal German pancakes do, but it did have the same kind of light, chewy texture. It really did look quite funny inside the pan because the oil didn't blend in to the pancake like butter does, but I mean we enjoyed it still!

We grabbed some canned peaches to make it sweet, and just writing about it is making my mouth water. I do want to try this recipe again, but this time I might try making it with butter (I mean...it IS in the top category of the food chart...so it's still okay to eat occasionally!)


If you try this recipe, let me know how it goes! I'm curious to know if anyone enjoys it as much as we did using the oil method.

Whole Wheat German Pancakes (Harvard Pyramid Style)

2 Tablespoons oil (olive, canola, vegetable)
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Milk
3 Eggs
Pinch of salt

  • Preheat Oven to 450 degrees
  • Coat the bottom of your pan with the oil
  • Mix all ingredients in a bowl
  • Pour the batter evenly around the whole pan
  • Bake for 15-18 minutes
If you choose to use butter instead of oil, put two Tablespoons of butter into your pan and melt it in the oven before pouring your batter in the pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment